The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a final rule amending the food facility registration requirements under the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) in a few minor but important ways effective July 14, 2016. The next registration renewal period is October 1, 2016, through December 31, 2016, and these additional items will be required this year unless later dates are noted:
• Every facility will need to provide an e-mail address for registration or renewals.
• The rule codifies the every-two-year renewal process that FSMA mandated.
• Registration will provide assurance that FDA will be permitted to inspect the facility at the times and in the manner permitted by the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
• During registration, companies will be required to check off which food product category a facility falls under for the products manufactured, processed, packed, or held at the facility (this was voluntary before).
• By January 4, 2020, every registration will need to be done electronically (unless granted an exemption).
• By October 1, 2020, a unique facility identifier (UFI) will be required with a registration – FDA will provide the UFI.
• An additional step is required for the owner, operator, or agent in charge of the facility to verify that the person registering the facility is authorized to do so.
All covered facilities should already be registered since it has been required for several years with renewal of the registration due this fall. More details are available at FSMA Final Rule: Amendments to Registration of Food Facilities.
August 2016 RENDER | back